Livelihoods and Food Security Officer – Jowhar
P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences: Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Roles and responsibilities
The livelihood and food security officer is responsible for implementation of livelihoods and Food Security activities in Jowhar, Middle Shabelle of South and central Somalia. The following is a brief description of the role.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents on Office 365
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function.
- Management of LFS casual staffs (Supervisors and Assistants and field monitors)
- Implement plan of action for delegated portfolio of LFS CC projects (activities, budget, and project documentation)
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation.
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Ensure that LFS projects target beneficiaries most in need and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by PC/PM
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the LFS advocacy strategy and thematic areas.
- Assume primary responsibility for project management and implementation and ensure compliance with the donor agreement and project proposal, proactively notifying the LFS Coordinator/PM and Area Manager if issues arise.
- Ensure adequate project monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to collect information and consolidate data on a regular basis to demonstrate impact and inform ongoing programme design.
- Develop and deliver the provision and quality of trainings on Good Agronomic practices (GAP), Village savings and loan associations, IGA, Farming as a Business, life skills, and other key LFS resources for LFS staff and beneficiaries.
- Actively contribute to the revision and implementation of a LFS sector strategy to meet the needs of LFS beneficiaries, including response to emergencies as they arise.
- Compile and prepare quality periodic project progress reports, as well as final reports, and feed in other information as required by PC/PM.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports that meet standards and timelines.
- Ensure proper programme and donor visibility in the project sites.
- Work closely with M&E to carry out data analysis and interpretation exercises with the project team to inform programming and advocacy.
Skills and Qualifications
Our Ideal Candidate:
- We are looking for a university degree graduate (bachelor degree) in agriculture, Food security, NRM and or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ work experience a similar positions like food security Project Officer, Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context of Somalia.
- Good Experience in Food security, Agriculture, and livestock, Natural resource Management (NRM).
- Previous experience of working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Good skills in emergency and recovery livelihoods and food security programming in the context of south and central Somalia.
- Livelihoods programming for drought and conflict affected communities in south and central Somalia.
- Good experience in Food security, NRM/EWEA, Agriculture, and livestock husbandry/development.
- Basic Understanding in EWEA, DRR and Resilience
How to apply
What We Offer:
Contract period: Subject to the funding
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Jowhar- Middle Shabelle Somalia
Candidates currently in Jowhar are highly encouraged to apply.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraging.