Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Logistics Technical Assistant(Warehouse) – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
- Job Identification 12646
- Job Category Logistics
- Posting Date 10/16/2023, 02:20 PM
- Apply Before 10/30/2023, 08:19 PM
- Degree Level Bachelor’s Degree
- Job Schedule Full time
- Locations Jigjiga
Logistics Technical Assistant(Warehouse) Ethiopia Jigjiga
A job description is a written statement that describes the employee’s role and responsibilities. The role and responsibilities shall be executed within the NRC framework. The job description facilitates the recruitment process by stating the necessary competencies. It is mandatory for all positions.
Position: Warehouse Assistant/Storekeeper (commodity)
Number of positions: 2
Reports to: Area Office, Logistics Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post None
Duty station: Bokh
Duration and type of contract: One year with possibility of extension
Project Number: WFP GFD-Refugee project
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Role and responsibilities
The Storekeeper/Commodity will handle receipt/dispatch and verification of commodities to maximize quality of warehouse operations and mitigate losses, and to support the best storage management practices in compliance with NRC warehouse standards and established guidelines.
The storekeeper will have the following Responsibilities: –
- Effectively receive/dispatch commodities including transhipment (truck to truck) against official approved documentation (e.g., waybills and/or delivery notes) ensuring accuracy in physical count of commodities including the quality in compliance with the established standards.
- Prepare, verify, and sign off warehouse and transport documents, and maintain confidential files and accurate warehouse transaction records to ensure immediate reporting on commodity movements in line with the corporate requirements.
- Conduct daily warehouse closing reconciliation and accurate inventory checks supporting internal control systems in compliance with the warehouse management requirements.
- Perform daily inspections and prepare reports on the quantity and quality of the commodities received/dispatched and handled, detect promptly, and analyse reasons for stock discrepancies/damages, investigate missing quantity and prepare warehouse loss reports recommending appropriate solutions, to enable informed decision-making.
- Implement appropriate measures to safeguard food and non-food commodities, to ensure quality control using standard preventive measures in line with NRC established procedures and authorization received from the supervisor.
- Monitor condition of the warehouse and commodities and take appropriate actions, to support efficient warehouse space-planning and well-organized commodity storage following NRC warehouse standards.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to warehouse staff to contribute to their development and high performance.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus, and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
Job Responsibility #1: Requesting, Receiving and Stocking (40%)
- Establish the maximum and minimum stock level for each stock item as required
- Request the delivery of commodity when they are below the minimum stock level
- Undertake appropriate inspection, counting, weighing of materials, supplies, commodities, etc. received through purchase or donation.
- Receive Commodities/goods against official Goods Receiving Note (GRN)
- Check goods against orders, and/or waybill, and ensure Commodities/goods are in good condition before receiving them.
- Whenever there are shortage/overage, missing, damaged, broken, or spoiled items, report, record the condition on the relevant documents/GRN and notify supervisor.
- Maintain under his/her custody all Commodities, materials, supplies, fixed assets, etc… of the organization.
- Before receiving commodity ensure that the warehouse capacity is enough to accommodate the allocated food
- Responsible for ensuring maintenance of the warehouse premises including availability of pallet or plastic sheets, fumigations and cleaning of the internal and external warehouse.
- At the time of receipt check and inspect the quality and quantity of the commodity through a sampling method
Job Responsibility #2: Issuing (35%)
- Issue Commodities, and materials, to the required need people /units upon receipt of duly signed authorization documents.
- Dispatch all commodities/items against official payment authorization sheet.
- Check and ensure that the approved payment authorization sheet is accompanied with a with payroll sheet.
- Communicate with appropriate staff and plan distribution dates.
- Inform the needy people the amount, type, and source of the food they are going to receive.
- Issue the Food commodities as per the authorized PAS[CC1] & PL to distributer with the standard documents.
- Check the storekeeper’s copy of documents returned to store after distribution from distributor.
- Check all documents signed by the needy people and representatives in coordination with the distributor.
Job Responsibility #3: Store Management (15%)
- Design appropriate storage arrangements in the stores for efficient utilization of the available space, and to allow easy movement of people in the store
- [CC1] Record all incoming and outgoing Commodities in bin cards and the daily inventory register. Bin cards are to be stuck or hung on the shelves/stack to facilitate identification and inventory counting.
- Organize all Commodities received by types and according to their classifications, and store them, allocating available space of the store economically and diligently to minimize commodity damages.
- Ensure the security of Commodities in the store against damage, theft, deterioration, pilferage, hazards, such as dirt, fire, rainwater, etc. and makes sure that necessary protective equipment and chemicals are utilized, and the store is kept neat and clean.
- Identify and report slow moving, dead or obsolete inventory items.
- Conduct physical Commodity count on a daily, monthly, annually basis and during the year at regular intervals to ensure that physical inventory and bin card balances always tally.
- Supervise loading, unloading of commodities and performance of laborer.
- Inspect the warehouse on daily bases to see visible signs of infestation or damage.
- Follow up and supervise the porters in unloading and stacking, ensuring the stack is away from walls and that there is enough space between stacks.
- Segregate damaged and leaking bags for reconstitution and stack infested commodity in a separate warehouse.
- Inform the supervisor of any storage problems.
Job Responsibility #4: Documentation and Reporting (5%)
- File all documents such as suppliers packing lists or delivery order, CRN, bin cards, etc.
- Regularly check records against stock held and submit reports.
- Maintain an accurate record of Commodity-stock movement and current balances.
- Record all receipt and distribution transaction to the daily inventory registrar on daily bases and send to the office with supporting document CRN, waybill, payroll sheet etc.
- Prepare weekly commodity status report and send to the office weekly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly commodity status report in a timely manner.
- Maintain records for receipt and dispatch of empty containers.
Job Responsibility #5: Other (5%)
Perform other duties as assigned.
Professional skills are the skills, knowledge and experience that are essential to ensure good performance.
- 2 year of related work experience for Diploma/TVET
- 1 year of related work experience for Degree
- NGO experience is a plus
- Fluency in Somali and English, both written and verbal
Context-specific skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, Agriculture, or other related fields
- Previous work experience with satisfactory performance in the same or similar field, preferably with humanitarian NGOs or UN agency.
- Computer skills (MS Office,)
- Fluency in English and local/Somali languages
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to proactively take initiatives and decisions, identify opportunities and propose ideas and solutions.
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Very strong writing and analytical skills
- Ability to work closely with local authorities, UN, and INGOs and decentralized technical services.
- Good representation in humanitarian coordination working groups.
- High level of communication, flexibility, and negotiation
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Interpersonal skill
- Good communication skill
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.