Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer – Jijiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
Deadline Apr 30, 2021
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions. During our 34-year history, our work has improved more than 170 million lives in more than 115 countries around the world. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer
Duty Station: Jijiga
Open Position: One
General Position Summary
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer will work with the Mercy Corps program team as well as our local partner organizations to oversee and ensure the collection of quality M&E data for the program. The M&E Officer will be responsible for supporting the Enter Energy Program to oversee the monitoring and data collection of the project, lead surveys, analyze data to provide insight to project team, and contribute to report writing. S/he will ensure that performance monitoring and results reporting tools and processes across the entire program are in place, effectively implemented and well synchronized between program components. The MEL officer will be an integral member of the project team learning and reflection processes, leading discussion on beneficiary feedback.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
● Develop M&E Plan(s) for programs and proposals.
● Develop a system for reporting and validating program data (Excel, Tola, Access, etc.)
● Work closely with the program teams and local partners, to ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of program activities and results.
● Coordinate reporting with local partners, specifically tracking deadlines, ensuring adherence to monitoring formats and requirements, ensuring reporting quality and accuracy, and periodic report writing, editing, and submission.
● Compile progress against indicators and report back to the team according to the monitoring plan.
● Develop Data Quality Assessment Plan.
● Perform spot checks on the team’s data collected and reports each month.
● Actively participate in any additional evaluation M&E activities including but not limited to baseline surveys, mid-term, endline surveys, evaluations, households surveys
● Contribute to learning/research agenda.
● Build the capacity of all relevant team members to implement program monitoring tools, accurately enter program data into relevant databases, and enable them to develop excellent reports and other documents.
● Build the capacity of our local partner organizations through ongoing training and support on: monitoring tools, entering program data into databases, the development of reports and other documents.
● Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
● Ensure adherence to program management minimum standards in carrying out his/her duties, advising and supporting other staff in the same as required.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
● Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Knowledge and Experience
● BA/S or equivalent, preferable in business administration, public administration or international development.
● 2-4 years M&E experience. Expertise in energy access programming a plus
● Fluent in both spoken and written Somali languages with good knowledge of English.
● Previous experience working on donor funded programs preferred
● Relevant experience in field survey/data collection techniques, data entry, data verification, and analysis
● Good understanding and skills at data management.
● Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications.
● Strong team coordination, listening, and consensus building skills.
A successful candidate will have the ability to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment with a capacity to spark innovative approaches to programming and inspire groups to collaborate closely to implement high-quality programs. S/he will have proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results, with an ability and willingness to remain mobile for short-term and/or long-term as necessary within the region, based on programmatic needs. An ability to work independently and as part of a team, with curiosity about and sensitivity to new cultures, a desire and ability to learn and grow, both personally and professionally, and a great sense of humor.
How to Apply
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicant’s personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 30 April, 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Please make sure that you mention the position title in the subject line of your email application.
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974