Mercy Corps Ethiopia
Nutrition and WASH Intern – Jijiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
Deadline: Nov 27, 2023
Organization: Mercy Corps Ethiopia
Position Title: Nutrition and WASH
Duty Station: Jijiga
Open Position: 1
Duration of Internship: 6 months
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: (what education and/or skills will the intern have at the end of the internship that can be applied to MULTIPLE employment settings in the future. This differentiates the intern from a volunteer or employee)
By the end of the internship, the intern will have developed the following knowledge and experience:
- Extensive knowledge of WASH approaches for development settings
- Extensive knowledge of MIYCN approaches for development settings.
- Solid research background and good writing skills.
- Strong, team player, well demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary technical specialists.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities.
- English fluency is essential, plus at least one other local language spoken in pastoral Ethiopia (Afar regions).
DELIVERABLES: (describe any tangible and measurable result or outcome to complete the project or part of a project)
- Support implementation of Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) activities at regional and woreda level
- Prior experience implementing the Mother Care Group (MCG) model
- Have extensive knowledge of the “first 1000-day” approach
- Collaborate with Agricultural extension workers in the implementation of home gardening for fruits and vegetables including food storage and preservation
- Roll out Community Led Total Sanitation and Hygiene (CLTSH) in targeted woredas
- Capacity building of water management committees and other traditional water governance structures.
- Strengthen health extension workers/ ‘development army’ to promote latrine construction and disseminate essential promotion packages or household sanitation and hygiene.
- Promote construction of household upgradable latrines.
- Ensures all water/sanitation infrastructure and hygiene activities in the targeted cluster are implemented in accordance with the Mercy Corps, donor, and government guidelines and policies.
- Promote Sanitation and hygiene practices (raw water treatment, safe water storage and handling hand washing, and installation of hand washing facilities by the latrines)
- Facilitate village-level dialogue on personal, food/water hygiene and sanitation problems and social and gender norms that influence nutrition through Social Analysis and Action (SAA) approach
- Provide Nutrition and WASH training to field staff, government health workers, water technicians etc, as necessary.
- Actively participate in the development of tools behavior change communication (BCC) materials and approaches for Nutrition and WASH
- Regularly design and upload Nutrition and WASH activities concept notes
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Describe the need for educational background \
- Degree in health and nutrition or BSc nursing or Diploma in nursing or other related field
- Have a commitment to work with MC in assigned task.
- One letter of recommendation from a university / higher institution on the candidate’s personal integrity and sense of responsibility.
LIVING CONDITIONS: The internship should be based in Samara.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside work hours and are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs, and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
GEDSI (GENDER, EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND SOCIAL INCLUSION)
- Understand and aware GDI related priorities of the country office and contribute for the realization of priorities (continually work to understand and be aware of the gender diversity and inclusion priorities of the country office and contribute in the execution)
- Promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day-to-day interaction with a team member, partners and program participants.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country’s leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
How to apply
All qualified individuals are invited to apply for the advertised position. All applications, including a CV, three references, and all applicable official papers, must be sent electronically.
NOTE: All interns must be active at a university or recently graduated (within about 1 year).
Only candidates that are short-listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female and young candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women and youth.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 27 November 2023/ 4:00 PM
Applicants Must fill out their Information through the link:
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.