Pediatrician – Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing date: 16 Oct 2023
I. General Information
Position Type: Local professional
Duty Station: Banadir Maternity & Children Hospital
Duration of Assignment: 12 months
Deadline for applications: 16th October 2023
II. Background Information
About the MIDA FINNSOM III, Health and Education Project
The past decades have seen continued migration from various African countries, causing a “brain drain” that has debilitated various public sector systems across the continent. Through the IOM Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) programme, Somali diaspora professionals have supported institutional capacity building, service delivery, and policy development of health and education institutions across Somalia since 2015.
The MIDA FINNSOM PHASE III – Health & Education project – contributes to strengthening the Health and Education sectors in Somalia towards achieving specific priorities in the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Essential Package for Health Services (EPHS), as prioritized and outlined by the government. The project aims to do so by engaging and enhancing the role of qualified Somali diaspora experts willing to temporarily return to their country of origin. In particular, through assignments within key ministries and public institutions (including hospitals and universities), Somali diaspora experts contribute addressing gaps and enhancing strengths in the planning and delivery of health and education services, coherently with the needs identified through the dedicated baseline assessment conducted during the inception phase of the project. Furthermore, a component of the project is devoted toward contributing to the creation of stable and sustainable access to employment opportunities in the health and education sectors for local experts and interns, who will work in close coordination with the Somali diaspora experts – therefore reaping long-terms benefits of knowledge transfer, competencies sharing and skills development.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
The Federal Government of Somalia’s Ministry of Health and Human services (MoHHS), through the technical assistance provided by the IOM MIDA FINNSOM III Health and education project, seeks to build the skills of health workforce, including its pediatricians.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of Hospital director and in close cooperation with the diaspora expert pediatricians, the local professional will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Perform his/her professional duties, according to the Ministry of Health and local Hospital guidelines, ensure national standards are maintained and adhere to universal precautions.
- Perform regular health and wellness check-ups.
- Conduct thorough examinations on new-borns, young children and adolescence to check and record their health and normal physical development.
- Assess and manage pediatric emergencies (Non-Surgical).
- Conduct ward rounds and out-patient consultations according to good clinical practice.
- Discharge patients with appropriate instructions for further follow up and out-patient care.
- Advise parents on children’s diet, exercise and disease preventive measures.
- Work according to the Ministry of Health and local Hospital guidelines, ensure national standards are maintained and adhere to universal precautions.
- Liaise as requested with local health authorities and other health providers.
- Supervise and provide training for local personnel, where appropriate.
- Develop further skills where possible.
- Ensure all documentation meets local medico-legal requirements and that statistical data is collected, using the health monitoring system, and to incorporate information in regular reports.
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section III, the MIDA FINNSOM III Heath and Education project is requiring the following deliverables to be submitted throughout the assignment. These are the standard requirements for all assignments under this project:
- Work plan: A work plan must be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of the assignment to provide clear and time-bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the supervisor, MoHHS coordinator, MoHHS M&E Specialist and IOM project team. This work plan can be revised during the assignment to reflect on new developments or changes.
- Quarterly and Final Reports: Quarterly progress reports will be submitted by the expert to the supervisor, MoHHS Coordinator, MoHHS M&E Specialist and IOM project team. At the end of the assignment, the participant must also provide a final report covering the duration of his/her assignment.
- Exit interview: An exit interview will be conducted to ensure that a proper exit plan has been put in place to sustain the achievements, upon completion of the assignment.
Level of Education: Master’s degree, with pediatrics specialization
Area of Study: Pediatrics
Years of work experience in what area(s): More than 3 years
- Fluent in Somali.
- Good verbal and written command of English
General Skills / Other Requirements:
- Ability to work long hours, often under pressure.
- Have excellent practical and management skills.
- Capacities to communicate with colleagues and staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Have compassion and a good bedside manner.
- Have a drive to teach and learn throughout their career.
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
VI: Subsistence Allowance
The monthly stipend amount will be determined by the MIDA FINNSOM III, Health and Education project, based on degree and years of relevant experience.
How to apply
All applications must be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following reference as a subject in your e-mail: APPLICATION – as mentioned in the vacancy announcement. For further inquiries about the MIDA FINNSOM positions, you can reach out to email@example.com.
To be considered, applicants must provide a cover letter, CV, and the contact information (email and phone number) of two professional references by the closing date of this vacancy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date of this application is Monday October 16th, at 12.00 PM EAT.
VII: Security and insurance modalities
Health insurance will be covered by the project. However, local professionals will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically fit for the job.
Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the local professional. The host beneficiary institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org