USAID Project Funded
Procurement and Logistics Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
SCOPE OF WORK
TITLE: Procurement and Logistics Officer
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Long-Term
LOCATION: Mogadishu, Somalia
SUPERVISOR: Procurement and Contracts Manager
We are a project funded by USAID and implementing projects in Somalia.
The Procurement and Logistics Officer (PLO) will provide support for the identification, procurement, and management of service providers for the Projects Mogadishu office, and all regionally assigned program activities, ensuring that procurements are conducted in accordance with approved rules, regulations, and procedures and in adherence to applicable USG rules and regulations and organizations policies and procedures, in tandem with the FAR Clauses. In this capacity, the PLO will provide daily procurement and logistical support to the Procurement and Contracts Manager and Operations Coordinator for the operational and logistics needs and to the Grants Management Unit (GMU), consisting of the Grants Officer and Program Development Officer, for programmatic needs. The PLO will ensure a wide range of administrative and logistical support functions including property management, vehicles pool management, and travel management. The individual will undertake market surveys of new vendors, goods, and services; draft RFQ/RFPs, evaluate offers, prepare purchase orders and subcontracts, and ensure the timely delivery of goods and services to local communities in conjunction with other GMU members. The PLO may be required to travel periodically to different communities in Somalia to support local partners, attend events, monitor projects, or conduct other procurement-related activities as assigned. The PLO will report to the Procurement and Contracts Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure cost-effective and timely procurements for project operations and programmatic requirements in compliance with USAID rules and regulations and Organizations policies and procedures in tandem with the FAR Clauses.
- Perform daily identification of operational and programmatic procurement requirements and assist other personnel in planning.
- Conduct market surveys, collect quotations and bids for purchase requests, and maintain files on market prices for commonly bought items.
- Execute procurements through the proper sequence identified by program policies, including to initiate requisitions, prepare RFQ/RFPs, receive and respond to proposals, evaluate offers, prepare and issue purchase orders and subcontracts, and ensure the delivery of goods and services, verifying that appropriate approvals are obtained for each stage.
- Assist staff as needed on creating clear and concise purchase requests and other documentation
- Participate in bid evaluations and prepare requests for exemption from competition, if needed
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure that all purchases for program activities fall within the approved budgeted amount
- Maintain professional communication with all suppliers, keeping a record of all communication, key suppliers and updating vendor lists on a regular basis.
- Follow up with vendors to ensure timely delivery of goods and services, ensuring documentation of receipt, delivery of all materials, and the accuracy of invoices
- Update and maintain procurement tracking systems of all Purchase Requests by maintaining PR master lists/Procurement Databases
- Ensure that all organizations procurements are legal, ethical, and allowable by enforcing internal controls to prevent and/or detect fraud.
- Contribute to report development, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual project reports, as well as other reporting documents, as required.
- Ensure that all procurement files and actions are thoroughly documented, accurately recorded, and kept up to date on the organization Online Database in accordance with Project policies.
- Coordinate with the Finance Unit to ensure that invoices from vendors are paid on-time and that disbursement data is current in the database.
- Coordinate the delivery of items and verify the completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites and beneficiaries.
- Prepare status reports on deliveries and receipt of supplies.
- Ensure all relevant documents and transit and goods insurance coverage are obtained for road and air cargo movements before start of transportation.
- Recommend optimal transportation modes, routing, and equipment type, for delivery of goods to the field sites.
- Coordinate all cargo shipments, collaborating with the operations or program teams as necessary to ensure prompt, efficient and cost-effective shipments to program activities or sub-offices.
- Ensure effective coordination of goods being dispatched and have organized loaders, storage, and transportation for items being delivered.
- Maintain accurate tracking sheet for leases, utilities, and payments; obtain certain support documents for payment processing and check for renewal extensions before minimum two weeks.
- Oversee appropriate use, care and maintenance of all organization office spaces, facilities arrangement and address maintenance/changes actions plan.
- Consolidate on vehicle use records versus distance and insurance maintenance work for all vehicles (including field offices) and monitor the vehicle log sheets on a weekly, biweekly and monthly basis prior to payments.
- Prepare inventory report, including monthly asset management sheet updates, annual inventory review, marking and tracking of organizational assets.
- Maintain operation department filling system with proper archiving titles.
- Check and verify small purchases, as requested by the staff, within a petty cash limit.
Education and certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
- Full or partial CIPS or other recognized qualification will be an added advantage.
Key Position Competencies and Experience:
- At least five (5) years of experience in large scale procurement and supply chain management with an international business, including USAID or other donor funded implementing partners in international development and humanitarian programs.
- Previous experience carrying out procurement for a stabilization or other crisis-management program that includes large in-kind grants, direct delivery of goods and services (DDGS), construction activities, and other technical subcontracts.
- Excellent organizational Skills: ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- High level computer Skills on MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to travel within the entire area of implementation.
- Strong knowledge of transport and logistics limitations in Somalia.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and USAID compliance is essential.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Somali.
- Effective written and oral communication as well as interpersonal Skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical skills, and good judgement.
- Proactive nature, strong prioritization skills, and ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Possess and demonstrates leadership skills, humility, and self-awareness.
- Position open to Somali nationals only.
Organization Core Competencies:
- Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to achieve common goals. Participates in building a culture characterized by inclusion, trust, and commitment.
- Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts professionally Demonstrates effective use of skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts
- Adaptability: Adjusts planned work by gathering relevant information and applying critical thinking to address multiple demands and competing priorities in a changing environment
- Customer/Client Focused: Anticipates, monitors, and meets the needs of customers and responds to them in an appropriate and responsive manner
- Diversity & Inclusion: Conveys respect for diverse individuals and perspectives; models inclusive behavior and treats everyone fairly
- Professionalism: Displays appropriate and ethical behavior, integrity, and personal presentation in the workplace always; demonstrates respectful communication for others, both verbal and non-verbal
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above requirements are highly encouraged to send their Cover Letters and CVs with three references to email@example.com by 2nd December 2023. The subject of the email should read ‘’Procurement and Logistics Officer Mogadishu Position“.
NOTE: Attractive compensation will be offered to the successful candidate
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will a candidate be asked for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview and assessment.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org