Programme Policy Officer – Beledweyne, Somalia
Date of Issue: 22nd April 2021
Closing Date: 05th May 2021
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Beletweyne Sub-Office, the incumbent will undertake the following:
- Contribute towards project design and provide project management support for relief, nutrition, school meals, and livelihoods activities in Beletweyne Sub-Office (SO);
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to work in collaboration with WFP leading to improved food assistance packages,
- Provide technical and programmatic support to cooperating partners for smooth implementation through training and regular coaching.
- Supervise and provide technical and programmatic guidance to the programme team including capacity strengthening through on-the-job trainings;
- Organize periodic coordination meetings with partners to review implementation, achievements, challenges and to discuss potential solutions as required;
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to partners;
- Coordinate with all stakeholders (local authorities, NGOs and thematic groups) to ensure effective collaboration, and ensure participation of the Cooperating Partners (CPs) in food security clusters;
- Act as a liaison between the SO and other technical units (relief, school feeding, nutrition, livelihoods), CPs, and local authorities;
- Undertake monitoring activities across all programmes and coordinate their implementation in compliance with WFP guidelines;
- Review, analyse and verify CP distribution reports and invoices to ensure accuracy and timely submission to the AO for processing;
- Review and maintain monthly distribution plans including projections based on the resources available and align the requirements in coordination with Mogadishu Area Office;
- Maintain a monthly distribution achievement report;
- Supervise programme staff, support in development of their workplans, regular capacity strengthening, coaching and performance assessment;
- Act as the officer-in-charge in the absence of the Head of Sub-Office;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Advanced university degree in economics, nutrition/ health, agriculture, social sciences, business administration or international development or first university degree with additional years of related work experience.
Experience: At least two years of postgraduate job experience in development, project management, food or non-food assistance management. Additional years of experience in programme design, management of technical programmes like relief, safety nets, nutrition, livelihoods and school meals programme activities is desirable.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Experience in leading or contributing to policy discussions and decisions;
- Strong analytical and report writing skills in English;
- Ability to lead and supervise teams;
- Good planning, coordination and monitoring skills.
- Proficiency in using Windows applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, access; knowledge on using other WFP applications is an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs