International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Project Associate (Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants), Wajale (Togochale)
Deadline: Nov 28, 2023
SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Open to Internal & External Candidates
Project Associate (Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants)
Type of Appointment:
SST, Six months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date:
As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting huma0ne and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting human and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply for this vacancy.
IOM Ethiopia’s Protection Unit works closely with the Government of Ethiopia and various stakeholders to contribute to addressing the needs, as well as to promote and uphold the rights of individuals and their communities.
IOM’s protection interventions follow a six-pillar intervention that includes the provision of direct assistance to migrants, including displaced persons and affected communities. Direct Assistance’s goal is to respond to individual needs in a tailored manner through, individual assistance, case management or community–based approaches.
IOM has established Migration Response Centres (MRCs) along different migration routes to provide tailored assistance to migrants in vulnerable situations. The MRCs work closely with the Ethiopian government and build up the response capacity of partners in MRC locations to protect migrants in mixed migration contexts and strengthen mechanisms to identify and refer migrants needing specialized services.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office (Jijiga) the staff will be responsible for assisting in the planning, delivery, and monitoring of Migration Response Center services in close coordination with the relevant sub-office and local stakeholders.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in providing tailored direct assistance to migrants in vulnerable situations in the Migration Response Centre (MRC) following MRC minimum service standard and IOM protection principles.
- Retrieve, compile, summarize, analyze, and present information/data on migrant profiles, vulnerability, needs, and services in the MRC
- Monitor budget; verify availability of funds; obtain necessary approval and update budget-related information.
- Draft status reports, identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor, and suggest remedial actions.
- Act as the focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process, and follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, presentations, and other forms of documentation.
- Respond to complex information requests and inquiries; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops, and training sessions.
- Participate in meetings and conferences; assist in coordinating implementation activities with local authorities, partners, United Nations agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors, and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Assist in monitoring the work of implementing partners and report non-compliance to the supervisor.
- Provide guidance/training to new/junior staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
· School diploma with five years of relevant experience; or,
· Bachelor’s degree in political or social Sciences, International Relations, Development Studies, Migration Studies, Human Rights, Law or related fields from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience
· Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
· Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
· Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
· In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration-related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
· Proven experience with case management
· Shelter management experience
· Knowledge of migrant protection and assistance
· Familiarity with project development, administration, and evaluation concepts and procedures.
· Computer literacy, with proficiency in MS Windows / MS Office application
· Excellent communication
· IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
· For this position, fluency in Amharic, English and Somali is Mandatory (oral and written).
· Other Ethiopian national languages
Values and Competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
• For Internal applicants – please send your application letter enclosed with your updated CV to DL_ETH_IOMEthiopiaHR@iom.int, by putting the vacancy number, job title and the duty station you are applying for in the subject line.
• For External applicants: required to send your application letter enclosed with your updated CV to Ethiojobs.net ONLY. Please put the vacancy number, job title and the duty station you are applying for in the subject line i.e. “Application for Project Associate (Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants), IOM-SVN/0112/2023, Togchale”
• Any application without this information in the subject line and that does not fulfill/attach the below-listed documents will be disqualified and excluded from the applications.
Ø Motivation/Application letter indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice.
Ø CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) and Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to DL_ETH_IOMEthiopiaHR@iom.int