Save the Children
Project Coordinator- DRSLPII – Hargeisa, Somaliland
SAVE THE CHILDREN
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than
120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization. From emergency
relief to long-term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and
protection. Save the Children is an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. We are looking to recruit for this position to be based in Hargeisa
Position: Project Coordinator- DRSLPII
Duration: 12 Months
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Please refer the below Job Description for the position description and the key selection criteria.
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent
to URL Link:
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications close on Tuesday 18th May 2022 @ 11:59pm.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required
SAVE THE CHILDREN
TITLE: Project Coordinator- DRSLPII
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Operations, Area||LOCATION: Hargeisa|
|GRADE: 3||CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 MONTHS|
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g., once a week or more) or intensively (e.g., four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its Drought Resilience and Sustainable Livelihoods Program (DRSLP). The Project Coordinator is overall responsible for the day-to-day implementation of DRSLP program implementation. The Project Coordinator will work closely with the Project Director, Area management and support staff (including finance, HR, Supplies Chain, and program) to ensure the day-to-day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. The Project Coordinator reports directly to the Project Director. The Project Coordinator will assist the Project Director in outlining a strategic plan for the implementation of this program including identifying target areas/projects, methods of operation for effective programming and maximum results
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Program Manager – Somaliland
Technical Reporting to: Project Director- DRSLPII Project
Staff reporting to this post: TBD
Budget Responsibilities: TBD
Role Dimensions: SCI as an organization operates in all districts of Somaliland, implementing child protection, child poverty reduction, health, nutrition, education, and WASH in coordination with the relevant line ministries. SCI Somaliland employs over 160 staff across three offices and implements a budget of close to 28 million USD per year.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
- Management of project interventions, including recruitment, staff management, capacity-building, development of work plans, project monitoring and reporting.
- Ensure correct allocation of responsibilities within the team and that the project runs to time in an efficient and effective manner.
SAVE THE CHILDREN
- Play key role in development of systems and mechanisms to ensure the successful implementation of the project. This includes being responsible for the quality of monthly updates and project tracking system and ensuring that project records are kept up to date.
- Guarantee community involvement at all phases of the project through identification, design, implementation, and monitoring to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects. This should be done in coordination and cooperation with Project Director, WASH Program Manager, and Area Management Team as well as local authorities in the project target areas.
Representation, advocacy, and organizational learning
- Mobilise communities to participate in the planning implementation and maintenance of projects as well as implementation viable strategies which are both respectful with the local culture and sensitive towards the female population but that are effective in engaging women in the activities of the programme.
- Conduct monitoring visits to assess the effectiveness of projects.
- Provide follow up recommendations and solutions where there are problems in implementation.
- Establish a system to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact on an ongoing basis. Synthesize performance indicators into a useful format to track progress.
- Collaborate with the WASH Program Manager, Project Director, HoP-SL, and DRSLPII technical team to monitor progress and to ensure that tasks are carried out according to the plan and timeline identified in the proposal and the implementation timeline.
- Adjust the timeline, as needed.
- Regularly meet with the Project Director to discuss project activities, as well as with other senior management to discuss scheduling and other practical requirements.
- Ensure that DRSLPII project interventions are informed by and integrated with Save the Children’s other core sectors of health, education, nutrition, WASH, food security & livelihoods and protection.
- Play a technical support role in assessing the infrastructures technical needs assessment in target communities.
- Assist in preparation of work plans, Drawings, BoQs and expenditure plans based on the project scope.
- Implement the project as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules, and timelines.
- Ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer term operation and maintenance of all infrastructures including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prior to commencement of project implementation, complete standard Memorandum of Understanding MoU) with line ministries for project activities.
- Ensure that all elements of MoU are adhered to. Report any problems relating to the MoU to the Project Director
Programme and people management
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of project activities (for example, monitoring against project deliverables, work plans).
- Contribute to timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements. Always
- Ensure appropriate management and use of SC resources
- On behalf of the Project Director, and WASH Program Manager actively supervise and manage contracts construction) including BOQ, costs, quality of construction and timeliness.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere standard and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Help be responsible for the security of all staff. Ensure that the security, health, and well-being of staff are ensured, and staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect SC principles of equity and fairness.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for Save the Children staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff. Look for opportunities for experiential learning within all work.
- Ensure that Save the Children’s work in all target regions is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent Save the Children at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Report, as required, on project work and any management issues arising in each assignment (to the area management teams)
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, procurement and logistics, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender and children’s issues. To promote the full and equal participation of women and children in all aspects of the work.
- Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities, as requested by your line manager.
This position requires a motivated team player who can work flexibly in stressful situations, with a solid
background in implementing resilience projects including engineering aspects; a quick learner with good inter personnel skills and a positive personality, with a good track record.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
Leading and Inspiring Others (Accomplished)
- Communicates our vision, values and strategy and encourages others to share them
- Influences others positively to achieve team goals
- Recognizes and celebrates the contribution and success of individuals and the team
- Takes a flexible and positive leadership style, adapting to the situation or needs of the team
- Demonstrates humility in leadership of others
- Maintains a broad strategic perspective at the same time as an awareness of the detail of a situation
- Establishes clear and compelling objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
- Creates and applies measures and metrics to track performance
- Holds others accountable for achieving results and challenges underperformance
- Demonstrates financial awareness and a concern for cost effectiveness
Developing Self and Others (Accomplished)
- Gives regular positive and constructive feedback to others
- Identifies clear development needs and development plans through regular constructive reviews of their own performance (and their team’s where appropriate)
- Creates space for others to learn and provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments when people are ready for them
- Coaches’ others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them
Problem Solving and Decision Making (Accomplished)
- Uses data and evidence to drive decision making for quality improvement
- Analyses and exercises judgment in challenging situations in the absence of specific guidance or knowledge of the full facts
- Evaluates the opportunities and risks of each idea and solution to make informed strategic decisions
- Takes decisions when decisions are due and is prepared to account for them.
Applying Technical & Professional Expertise (Accomplished)
- Makes decisions based on professional expertise and experience without deferring unnecessarily to others
- Shares knowledge and best practice on technical solutions so that others can make best use of that expertise
- Actively seeks new ways to develop the application of technical and professional standards within the team
Communicating With Impact (Accomplished)
- Conveys complex issues with clarity, brevity, and confidence
- Promotes dialogue with key stakeholders through active listening and effective questioning
- Adapts communication style to maximise support and engagement
- Advises others on different approaches to influence key stakeholders
- Seeks out new methodologies for communication to engage new audiences
- A degree in engineering or any other related field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
SAVE THE CHILDREN
- Extensive experience (minimal 5 years) of programme management in WASH, resilience, livelihoods, humanitarian, or fragile state contexts
- Experience can substitute for qualifications but not vice versa.
- Ability to write clear, well-argued project reports
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. A good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
- Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
- A basic level of written and spoken English and good command over Somali
- Experience in AfDB funded resilience, and community DRR projects
- Experience of and ability to represent SC work in external meetings.
- Experience of community mobilisations, distributions, and hygiene promotion
- Ability to work hands on implementation capacity
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy, all employees are also expected to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI protection from sexual exploitation abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
SAVE THE CHILDREN
Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs: –
Closing Date will be 18th May 2022.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs