Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Project Coordinator – Mogadishu, Somalia
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF SOMALIA
MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
SOMALIA COVID19 EMERGENCY VACCINATION PROJECT
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
Individual Selection of Consultant
Country: Federal Government of Somalia
Name of the Project: Somalia COVID19 Emergency Vaccination Project
Consulting Service: Project Coordinator
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Deadline: 18th August 2022
Ref No. SO-MOH-FGS-5004-CS-INDV
- BACKGROUND OF THE PROJECT
The Government of the Federal Republic of Somalia, through the Federal Ministry of Health, will be implementing Somalia COVID-19 Emergency Vaccination Project and the Additional Financing to the Project. The proposed Project and Additional Financing will form part of an expanded health response to the pandemic. The activities will build on the Bank’s existing health portfolio in the country.
The Somalia COVID-19 Emergency Vaccination Project, funded by the World Bank, has four key components: (i) Vaccine Deployment and Acquisition; (ii) Implementation Management and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) (iii) Continuity of Essential Health Services; and (iv) Strengthening solar-powered cold chain and oxygen delivery.
The Project will focus on expanding the scope of activities in the parent project Somalia COVID-19 Emergency Vaccination Project and adjusting its overall design to be able to finance: (i) strengthening national immunization capacity necessary for the continuity of essential health services; (ii) strengthening service delivery to ensure effective vaccine deployment including effective micro-planning, safe and appropriate transportation, storage, training, ancillary materials, registration, and effective vaccine logistics and a suitable information management system; (iii) monitoring and tracking of vaccine use and recording of any adverse reactions to vaccination; (iv) social mobilization and community engagement to enhance demand, foster confidence and promote the update of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The Project Coordinator will collaborate with the technical program directors and EPI managers at state and federal level, the Project Management Team (PMT) in the respective state ministries of health of FMS to coordinate the planning and monitoring of the emergency COVID-19 vaccination implementation and ensure that the work of the COVID19 vaccine project is aligned to and coordinate with other Project activities implemented by the Ministry of Health.
The Ministry of Health and Human Services is seeking to use a portion of the Somalia COVID19 Emergency Vaccination Project to finance the recruitment of a Project Coordinator.
- SCOPE OF WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Director General and in close collaboration with the concerned technical departments Project Coordinator is responsible for day-to-day management of the activities; planning and tracking the implementation progress, and ensure overall compliance with Somalia’s laws and World Bank operational policies pertaining to the project’s implementation and management, including overseeing the technical, financial, procurement and contract management activities of the PCIU.
The Project Coordinator is expected to perform the following tasks among others;
- Support the identification and recruitment of the needed Technical and Professional staff needed for the COVID19 vaccination project to form part of the PCIU team and the PMT staff in FMS and other levels for the project in line with the Ministry of Health and the WB requirements.
- Prepare the annual work plan (AWP) for MOH (Ministry of Health) and World Bank review and approval for the COVID-19 project portfolio; Monitor implementation of AWP activities in the AWP and ensure timely submission of reports, outputs and other deliverables to the FMOH Director General and World Bank for review and evaluation, as appropriate. Ensure that the AWP is also reviewed and approved by the project steering committee.
- Support the program implementation modalities comply with the national and the World Bank technical and fiduciary requirements, the program operation requirements (e.g: World bank project would require government to develop a dedicated Project Operations Manual (POM)), SOPs and with the environmental, social, security and stakeholder engagement Safeguard Frameworks at all levels (federal, state, operations)
- Ensure that the PCIU effectively Monitor and supervise the work of consultants and firms in preparing and implementing project activities and provide regular updates to the FMOH Director General, the Project Steering Committee and World Bank team on project progress, status, challenges, implementation plans, and budgets
- Ensure Project funds are disbursed in a timely manner and in accordance with the government and World Bank procedures laid out in the Project Operations Manual (POM)
- Represent the Somalia COVID-19 Vaccination Project at both technical and policy level during relevant national and state-level meetings and coordination mechanisms.
- Monitor all project-reporting requirements – including project progress, financial, procurement reports, deliverables from consultants, contractors, and suppliers – to ensure timely preparation, distribution, review, and acceptance
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (TOR) that can be found at the following www.moh.gov.so or can be provided upon submission of application (in person or by E-mail to the address in paragraph 6.1 below).
Skills and Qualifications
The selection shall be based on qualification, experience and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview.
The Project Coordinator will possess the following qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy and Management or related area.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of project management experience, preferably in a public health Emergency Projects, preferably in immunization programmes and in a capacity with high level oversight and working with projects financed by the World Bank and or other international donors/partners
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in high level government position and/or International Organizations working in project/program management and in cross sectoral capacity with line Ministries of the government at national and at sub national levels.
- Experience in collaborating with development partners and NGOs required
- Proven record and knowledge of project/ program planning, coordination, and implementation, and good analytical capacity
- Excellent written and oral communication in Somali and English and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build consensus and good judgment in dealing with sensitive issues
- Knowledge and experience of ICT-based Office applications and tools (word processing, spreadsheets and data processing, PowerPoint)
- Ability to effectively work with colleagues at various levels (from junior to the most senior levels) to maintain a focus on project objectives with transparency and adherence to FGS and World Bank procedures and policies
- Excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills with the ability to handle complex situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to handle conflict constructively, tactfully, and positively
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments; experience working in Somalia and/ or other fragile and conflict-affected situations an asset
- Proven ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
The Project Coordinator will report to the Director General of the Federal Ministry of Health and the project steering Committee closely working with concerned technical department of the Federal Ministry of Health and the FMS. The Project Steering Committee will meet quarterly throughout the project period and be chaired by the Director General, FMoH.
- DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT:
The Project Coordinator will be engaged on a full-time basis and is expected to commence the assignment by 1st October 2022 for an initial period of 12 months, with a probation period of 6 months. The contract is renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
- DUTY STATION
The Project Coordinator will be based in the Project Coordination and Implementation Unit (PCIU) at the Federal Ministry of Health in Mogadishu, Somalia, with frequent site visits to the FMS to support project understanding and implementation.
The Ministry of Health and Human Services now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the Services and furnish the Curriculum Vitae (CV).
How to apply
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017 August 2018 and November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Deadline: Expressions of interest and CV must be delivered to the address below by hand, mail, courier or email on or before 18th August 2022 at 16:00 hours E.A.T.
The General Director; Ministry of Health and Human Services Federal Government of Somalia
Corso Somalia Street, P.O. Box 22, Shangani, Mogadishu, Somalia Email Address: email@example.com with copies to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Submit your application with the following as your subject: Project Coordinator -SO-MOH-FGS-5004-CS-INDV.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com