Project Engineer – Beledweyne
Overview of position
Our clients is an operational arm of the United Nations (UN), supporting the successful implementation of their partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, They provide sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of governments (govts), donors & UN organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, they offer their partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for their partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Our client is located in Mogadishu & oversees the organization’s operations in Somalia, South Sudan & Burundi. The hub covers a large geographic spread, including Eritrea, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Mauritius, Seychelles & Comoros, in addition to those mentioned above. Our client in Kenya implements a large portfolio of projects in partnership with other UN agencies & various donors on the ground, ranging from physical infrastructure to transactional projects. The Project Engineer provides technical assistance & expertise with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality & consistency of work, for the their construction works. The Project Engineer promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality & results oriented approach in the project team.
- General construction.
- Feasibility study / needs assessment.
- Design management.
- Construction supervision.
- Knowledge management.
- Plan & coordinate work activities with the Senior Project Engineer.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays & / or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report & recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays & / or cost overruns to the Senior Project Engineer.
- Provide supervision of project work progress & quality for on time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including Bill of Quantities (BOQ) as per approved contract.
- Provide data & information about project work to Senior Project Engineer for reporting purposes.
- Provide a monthly report to the Senior Project Engineer detailing all project matters including Quality, Health & Safety, Environmental (QHSE) & financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations & any other matter as agreed with the Senior Project Engineer.
Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE):
- Support the completion of HSSE plans & supporting annexes, as applicable.
- Proactively identify HSSE risks & hazards on site on a daily basis & conduct at least weekly formal HSSE site inspections.
- With the support of the Project Manager (PM) & relevant HSSE Subject Matter Experts (SME’s), identify appropriate corrective / mitigation actions to address HSSE risks & hazards identified through daily site visits, weekly site inspections & incident reports & when planning for upcoming construction activities.
- Ensure preventive / corrective actions are carried over timely, follow up on outstanding preventative & corrective actions from site inspections & incident reports.
- Ensure contractor personnel & any site visitors is fully aware of HSSE risks & mitigations measures & follow our clients safety instructions.
- Timely report class 1 & 2 incidents including near misses as per our clients internal procedures & policies.
- Implement all other HSSE requirements including in our clients projects as required per their intrenal procedures & policies to ensure a safe working environment.
Feasibility study / needs assessment:
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies & monitor / supervise consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction & rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments & prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the PM in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BOQ, technical specification & standards).
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary & final stages where applicable.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer to manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time & to the required quality.
- Prepare the BOQ for comment & approval by the Senior Project Engineer.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation & bid analysis where required.
- As tasked by the Senior Project Engineer, supervise construction works & administer works execution as per the contractual provisions & the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity / quality control & time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications & inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure construction works are completed on time, within budget & to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress & quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Senior Project Engineer in the preparation of project / contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions & variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand over documents & contracts close out reports.
- Oversee surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Assist in providing training & technology transfer to national personnel & contractor’s personnel & advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices & appropriate Health & Safety (H&S() standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
- The effective & successful achievement of results by the Project Engineer directly impacts on achievement of the projects & consequently reinforces the visibility & image of our client as an effective service provider in project services & management & strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development & project services.
The Project Engineer will report to the Senior Project Engineer.
Skills and Qualifications
Master’s in Civil Engineering or related field is an asset, or a combination of Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Masters Degree (desirable).
Minimum of 2 year/s of demonstrable relevant Civil Engineering experience (essential).
Minimum of 2 year/s of experience in Africa (essential).
Fluent in English (essential).
Fluent in Somali (essential).Key competencies
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of one’s own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge & commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation & focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop & maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors & other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner & to manage priorities.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project & in accordance with our clients shared goals.
- Consistently approaches work with energy & a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control & good humored even under pressure.
- The Project Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering.
This role has no team management responsibility.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field is an asset, or a combination of Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined in here.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable).
- A minimum of 2 years of experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering construction management is required.
- Work experience in post conflict / fragile environments is desirable.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations & / or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English & Somali is required.
- Knowledge of another official client’s language is an asset.
- Qualified female candidates are encouaged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit app.tayohr.io.