Protection Information Management Officer – Mogadishu, Somalia
- Organization: DRC – Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Mogadishu – Somalia
- Closing Date: 2022-06-25
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs. DRC is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Protection, Food Security & Livelihoods, Shelter/NFI and Water & Sanitation.
Since 2018 DRC, in collaboration with UNHCR and under the leadership of the Protection Cluster, is spearheading a country-wide Protection Monitoring System. DRC is one of the two networks responsible for data collection in Somalia.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Protection Officer for Information Management (PIM) will be fully dedicated to lead the comprehensive protection-related data management across DRC Somalia and Somaliland Mix Migration and Cross border Protection Monitoring. To this end, the position plays a key role in contributing to and supporting protection programming through the collection, analysis and sharing of information in accordance with professional standards for protection work. The position is responsible to design tools and thematic documents related to DRC’s protection programming for both internal and external audiences and will support the Protection Manager and other members of the protection team in the identification of key protection trends and in the analysis of quantitative data to support the development of evidence-based decision making and strategies. Finally, the position is responsible for the design, implementation and management of program-related data and information management systems and support for PIM tasks other protection programming including SPMS and general protection.
- Develop, implement, and maintain DRC Somalia and Somaliland DRC protection information management systems by incorporating PIM matrix system, tools, and approach and using systematized and collaborative framework.
- In collaboration with the Protection Team Leaders, Officers, and Assistants/Monitors coordinate data collection processes in targeted areas in line with the monthly workflow of the Mix Migration and Cross border Protection Monitoring.
- Collect, process, analyze, store, share and use data and information to enable evidence-informed action for quality protection outcomes, triggers for needs assessments, and links to humanitarian programme cycle.
- Support in developing data collection strategies using data collection and visualization tools.
- Support in developing beneficiaries’ databases by incorporating PIM matrix system.
- Support the protection monitors and other team members in fields monitoring visits for tracking and recording of data.
- Support in the training of protection monitors and protection teams in related topics and activities.
- Follow up with monitors to clarify information, triangulate with other sources to ensure accuracy
- Coordinate timely and accurate filling 4W/3W matrixes from the various Protection field teams and submit to line manager.
- Conduct feedback sessions with protection monitors/ teams and identify challenges, gaps and in collaboration with the Protection Manager, develop solutions.
- Support assessments conducted by Protection staff in various locations.
- Develop standardized protection information management systems based on protection monitoring initiatives, needs assessments, case management and so on, to inform protection responses, methodology design and operational planning.
- Oversee confidentiality of information and ensure there is provision of data security, including strict data handling and protocols, backup and recovery control
- Enhance DRC staff knowledge and capacity in topics including data quality and basic data analysis
- Process data, and support the Reporting Officer to compile and disseminate information for use in various protection-related materials, including but not limited to snapshots, infographics, briefings and analyses
- Respond to requests for specific data or information needs
- Perform other duties as may be assigned to you by the Protection Team Leader, Manager or coordinator.
Experience, Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 2-3 years of professional experience in the field of humanitarian interventions, human rights or community
- University degree or preferably in Statistics, Information Technology, Social Sciences, Human Rights or related field from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Experience in developing, managing information and using databases more specifically
- Strong knowledge of Excel, KOBO and preferably MS Access or other databases, such as Stata in humanitarian settings.
- Ability to use mobile phone apps in data collection and analysis including conducting assessments and surveys.
- Experience of working as information analyst and/or working on protection and human rights
- Strong knowledge of Kobo, Power- Bi and other data visualization tools. Experience in protection monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated skills in PC troubleshooting, software and hardware support, networking, data backup, creating data entry forms and generating database reports.
- Good data collection/analysis and reporting skills
- Knowledge of different data collection methodologies and processes
- Honest, hardworking, and independent.
- Fluent in English written and oral.
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
• Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.Conditions
Availability: July 2022
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Protection Manager
Duration: 6 Month with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band H-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV in English. The cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 25th July 2022.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/job support
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs