Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - FAO
Publications Support Assistant – Mogadishu, Somalia
Publications Support Assistant SC-7
Job Posting: 28/Sep/2023
Closure Date: 12/Oct/2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FRSOM – FAO Representation in Somalia
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Somalia-Mogadiscio
Duration : 6 months (Renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FSNAU) is a multi-year, multi-donor programme managed by FAO Somalia. Its main objective is the provision of quality, timely and independent food security and nutrition related information and analyses to decision makers; it also provides food security and nutrition related capacity development support to Somali institutions.
The Publications Support Assistant will be under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Somalia, and the direct supervision of the FSNAU Publications and Design Officer.
The Publications Support Assistant will provide publications related support to FSNAU.
Tasks and responsibilities
- In close collaboration with OCC branches and focal points, the incumbent will:
- Typeset Documents in accordance to house-style writing and technical terminology ready for layout and final production.
- Perform file conversion for images and publications layout for various outputs (Web, publishing, desktop printing, lithographic printing etc)
- In liaison with various FSNAU technical departments prepare and format appropriate images, tables, graphs, photos, maps, captions, and headings for layout.
- Proof-read and run spell checks, execute corrections in publications and other printed matter.
- Assist in layout and creative design off regular and ad-hoc publications and other materials to camera/web-page ready formats.
- Create internal archives (both hard copies and softy copies on storage devices) of FSNAU information products, including photos and publications
- Assist in drawing publications and materials production planner on an annual quarterly monthly basis or as may be from time to time arise to ensure effective and timely production of all publications as may be required
- Assist in document binding and finishing
- Assist Data systems unit in data collection, entry, cleaning and collection of deliverables when required.
- Assist in managing regular and special website content uploads in consultation using the CMS tools
- Assist in the layout design and typesetting of publications by various units of FAO Somalia
- Regularly update and maintain subscriptions to FSNAU mailing lists and web-based services
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Liaison with the Office of Communication (OCC) will be maintained, either directly or through an agreed focal point/coordinator, to ensure compliance with OCC standards, appropriate review and clearance processes.
- All communication materials will follow FAO clearance processes and comply with FAO standards, including:
- FAOSTYLE (English: https://www.fao.org/3/cb8081en/cb8081en.pdf; French: https://www.fao.org/3/AC339FR/ac339fr.pdf; Spanish: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339s/ac339s.pdf; Arabic: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339a/ac339a.pdf; Chinese: https://www.fao.org/3/ac339c/ac339c.pdf);
- FAO terminology http://www.fao.org/faoterm;
- FAO Names Of Countries https://www.fao.org/nocs/en;
- Story guidelines http://intranet.fao.org/fileadmin/user upload/occ/Quick Guides/UPDATED-Digital-Storytelling-Guide-EN-FINAL.pdf;
- Story template http://intranet.fao.org/fileadmin/user upload/occ/Quick Guides/FAO-Stories-Template-UPDATED.pdf;
- UN map standards (available to staff);
- FAO Brand and policy book (available to staff).
- Further guidance regarding FAO communications, policies and procedures can be found through the FAO intranet, OCC section.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Communications, Business or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in in the use of graphic design and publication software, MS Publisher, MS Word/Excel and PowerPoint
- Good working knowledge (level C) of English and Somali language
- National of the country (Somalia)
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in the typesetting of documents in accordance to house-style writing and technical terminology ready for layout and final production.
- Ability to perform file conversion for images and publications layout for various outputs (Web, publishing, desktop printing, lithographic printing etc)
- Ability to prepare and format appropriate images, tables, graphs, photos, maps, captions, and headings for layout.
- Ability to proof-read and run spell checks, execute corrections in publications and other printed matter.
- Ability to assist in layout and creative design off regular and ad-hoc publications and other materials to camera/web-page ready formats.
- Ability to create internal archives (both hard copies and softy copies on storage devices), including photos and publications
- Ability to assist in document binding and finishing
- Ability to assist in managing regular and special website content uploads in consultation using the CMS tools
- Ability to regularly update and maintain subscriptions to mailing lists and web-based services
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please create a one-time registration with FAO’s client support team for further assistance: https://fao.service-now.com/csp
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit jobs.fao.org.