Re-Advert: Finance Manager – Danish Refugee Council (DRC) – Mogadishu
DRC has been operating in Somalia since 1998 using a protection of human rights framework. Somalia is experiencing a devastating humanitarian crisis, with nearly 80% of the population in need of some form of humanitarian assistance. DRC in Somalia is scaling up the operation in emergency response through an integrated approach accessing hard to reach populations.
Overall purpose of the role
The Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in the DRC Somalia Country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management and compliance are adhered to effectively. The Finance Manager ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC internal policies and procedures and provides support to the program management teams as required
- As a super user for DRC Dynamics, oversee the finance functionalities in DRC Dynamics and update all staff on new developments.
- Oversee and manage daily accounting and finance functions including the timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, receivables, payables and timely updating in DRC Dynamics and ensuring that Month end process is complied.
- Supervise the maintenance of banking relations and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC programs.
- Plan and maintain oversight of co-funding requirements and share overview with HoSS on quarterly basis.
- Oversee Accounting compliance and documents archiving for Somalia operation according to DRC requirements.
- Coordinate with Finance/HR staff to ensure timely payment of staff salaries.
- Oversight over Country Finance DRC Dynamics system and schedule training required for LU, HU training as required.
- Oversee and clearance of donor financial reports for HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors, ensuring quality of the reports.
- Provide monthly management reports which will include expenditures by project, sub grantee or Partners’ reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner and any other report as requested by SMT.
- Oversight over partners’ financial reporting and compliance and schedule additional technical assistance to partners to be carried out by partnership Specialist and Finance Officer.
Budget, Financial Management and Control
- Ensure that financial related information is accurate and is well maintained. This includes an overall planning, budget and control of expenditures for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to programme implementation.
- Implement relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
- Develop budgets for new project proposals and budget revision in collaboration with the AM and Program Managers.
- Preparation and coding of new budgets and updating the DRC Dynamics.
- Update (Monthly) Master budgets in collaboration with the Area Manager and ensure annual and quarterly cost allocation schedules are in place.
- Support to ensure monthly Country BFU template is updated with forecasts for all projects with the assistance of Area Manager/Program Managers and Finance Coordinator.
Others Finance Administrative Support
- Support audits (in-country, external), coordinate with area offices/HQ and Risk and Compliance Coordinator to ensure samples are availed in time.
- With support of Country Finance staff, assess the needs and identify issues/gaps in Area Finance office/staff and prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular financial issues.
- Develop technical skills of finance staff through on-job technical advice, coaching and mentoring of finance team.
- With support of Country Finance Coordinators and Specialists, perform regular internal Finance Reviews (As per DRC Operations Handbook) and reviews as required to ensure compliance with DRC and donor requirements.
- Provide Technical support to Area Finance Teams and other program staff as and when required as “Technical Focal Point” for Finance department.
- Follow up on new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/Head of Support Service/Regional Office and HQ.
- Support Head of Support Service to identify the gaps in Finance policies to Develop local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Country/Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC follows the same.
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
- Keep the HoSS and Head of HR/Admin informed of the latest developments on tax issues.
Skills and Qualifications
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or Business Administration.
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or Five years DRC experience in Finance/Accounting work.
- At least 8 years’ experience working with NGOs or other international agencies.
- Excellent people and team management skills, able to hold to account, build and motivate teams, with at least 5 years people management experience.
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas) & ERP Systems
- Experience in preparation of Donor budget and reporting for Danida /SIDA/USAID/ECHO/UN/FCDO donors.
- Strong information technology skills.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups and nationalities.
- Ability to prepare training modules on accounting management and conduct trainings to Finance and Non-Finance staff.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Identify priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required.
- Experience of leading the implementation of operational improvements and the persistence to achieve change in a challenging environment.
- Ability to operate and think strategically, coupled with proven analytical skills and the use of these to problem solve and make firm decisions.
- Aptitude and openness to change, with an ability to lead change management
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
Contract: 12 Months with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment;
Employment band Management F1
Availability: 1st July 2023
Duty station: This position is based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel to all locations in Somalia.
Reporting Line: Head of Support Services
Direct Reports: Finance Coordinators, Finance Specialists and Finance Officer
How to apply
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Early applications highly encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Candidates who applied previously need not to apply.
Please submit your application and CV in English no later than 30th May 2023.
To apply for this job please visit www.drc.ngo.