RE-ADVERT: Project Engineer – Berbera, Somaliland
|12 months, renewable to performance and funds availability
|12th May 2021
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer, healthier, greener places with better opportunities where everyone can live in with dignity. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society and the private sector to help build, manage, plan and finance sustainable urban development. The post is located within the Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF).
The Berbera Urban Development Project will focus on sustainable and economically gainful waste management, employment creation, minimized waste generation, innovative and appropriate use of existing resources, reuse of materials, and awareness raising on the concepts of well managed growth through a more circular approach to economic development.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to inclusive and sustainable urban development and economic growth in Berbera through improved waste management infrastructure and services. The intervention aims at bridging the gap between the urban poor and the local government, by strengthening inclusive governance, enabling the provision of improved services and creating related employment in Berbera. Local development potential will be unlocked through a well formulated long-term waste management strategy and the mobilization of capital investment needed for the development of infrastructure and basic service delivery for all, with focus on the urban poor. The project will increase municipal capacities in the areas of urban environment and waste management, planning and implementation of associated infrastructure, service delivery and the creation of livelihood opportunities for young people in the circular economy.
Under the overall coordination of the Officer in Charge and under the direct supervision of the Berbera Urban Development Project Manager, the Project Engineer will perform the following duties:
- Undertake site supervision duties and ensure that contract documents are followed according to technical specifications.
- Ensure that the works are supervised daily and all necessary site monitoring, attendance, worksheets, and progress records are prepared.
- Support overall quality control and monitor performance of sub-contractors, service providers, and consultancy firms
- Keep track of completed BoQ items, quantities, and their equivalent costs, and alert UN-Habitat management as soon as there are indications that quantities and budgeted costs might be exceeded.
- Assist in the preparation of payment certificates and overviews of completed work components, for signing by authorized UN-Habitat staff
- Assist in the communication of technical issues of the project to third parties and stakeholders
- Provide Engineering support to all in-house designs and related construction works; Assist with technical inputs to remaining designs, BoQs and technical specifications for additional works and variations that will be directly implemented by UN-Habitat. Prepare require engineering calculations and drawings, as required.
- Provide technical inputs to tender documents for additional project components, including specifications, BoQ and drawings and work directly with the Senior Engineer and Project Coordinator in the getting documents ready for tendering.
- Assist the Project Manager in any feasibility work or outline design work prior to detailed design.
- Participate in the preparation of project proposals, concept notes, progress reports, minutes of meetings, visibility products, etc.
- Ensure systematic and complete filing and archiving of all technical documents, contracts, engineering drawings and reports
- Organise for progress and review meetings with municipality public works department.
- Prepare for and support conduct of seminars, workshops, etc. as guided by the Managers with other UN-Habitat staff.
- Support Districts department of public works, district municipality with regard to on-the- job training on beach development, truck parking yard, green park under urban environmental infrastructure related activities including database development, data collection and use of geographical information system.
- And any other responsibilities that may be requested from time to time during the implementation of the project.
Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
An advanced level university degree in Civil engineering or any other related is a requirement. A first level university degree in combination with additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Proven work experience of at least four years in civil works as well as experiences in site supervision. Substantive experience in architecture, urban planning and structural engineering is required. Working experience with an INGO or UN is an asset.
Strong written and oral skills in both English and Somali are a requirement.
Proactive, results oriented, independent, able to identify and carry out duties and responsibilities with minimum supervision. Mature, professional, supportive and cooperative in all matters within the work setting, problem-solving oriented. Maintain confidentiality with regards to all work-related issues.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
How to Apply
Applications should include:
1) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page)
2) Completed United Nation Personal History Form (P.11) marked “Project Assitant_Berbera Urban Development Project”
Qualified women are highly encouraged to submit their application.
Evaluation of qualified candidates includes an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview and written test for short-listed candidates.
|All applications should be submitted to:
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
Email:Officer-in-Charge,UN-Habitat Somalia: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 12th May 2021
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs