Committed To Good (CTG)
Resident Engineer (International) (1 position), Somalia
Vacancy id: VAC-10872
Job title: VAC-10872 Resident Engineer (International)
Apply by: 23-Nov-2023
Start date: 01-Dec-2023
Duration: 1 year
Number of vacancies: 1
Qualification: Bachelor’s in or higher in civil engineering is required, post graduate qualifications in areas relevant to the position requirements is desirable ( essential). Certificate in professional engineering ( essential).
Sector experience: Minimum of 6 year/s of demonstrable relevant Civil Engineering experience ( essential).
Geographical experience: Minimum of 6 year/s of experience in Africa ( desirable).
Languages: Fluent in English ( essential).
CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Overview of position
- In late 2019 parts of Somalia experienced some of the worst flooding in the country’s recent history resulting in several deaths & significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property & livestock. Further to this flood event, a joint assessment undertaken by the World Bank & the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) assessed the losses & damage caused by the floods & developed a strategy for immediate recovery & longer term resilience building. As a result, Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) financed by the World Bank through the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF) was formulated. The project aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods & infrastructure in flood & drought affected areas & strengthening the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide. The recovery interventions focus is on 3 flood affected states (Hirshabelle, South West State & Jubaland), while the longer term interventions focus on a broader national coverage, enabling government capacity strengthening in disaster risk management.
- The Project Implementation Unit (PIU) established within the MoF is managing the project implementation with our client providing technical support in project activities design, implementation, monitoring & reporting. Their input includes the development of designs for the rehabilitation of flood damaged roads, buildings & other infrastructure. As part of their technical advisory team, the Resident Engineer is to be engaged to undertake technical advisory role to the SPT / PIU during the road construction work & provide supervision support to the SPT Engineers.
The Resident Engineer based at the project location (Hirshabelle, South West State or Jubaland), will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the PIU of in the implementation of SURP II work activities as per the design drawings & specifications & in compliance with the approved safeguard standards. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assess the design & contract documents made available by the PIU including the detailed engineering design report, reference design input records, design drawings & specifications, Bill of Quantities (BoQ’s) & the contract documents for the completeness & the quality & advise SPT / PIU for any actions that may be required.
- Review the contractor submitted work plans & the contract execution documents & advise the SPT / PIU for appropriate actions.
- Support SPT / PIU in the supervision of the roads construction works, execution of quality assurance activities & manage implementation of the approved environmental social management plan activities at site.
- Assist the SPT / PIU in the assessment of the contractors progress claims for payments, delay claims, variation requests etc.
- Supervise our clients team working directly under her / him & overall management of resources assigned to the supervision team.
- Participate in site meetings organised by the SPT / PIU & assist SPT / PIU to prepare site instructions & variation orders.
- Represent our client at site, maintain work activities records & prepare periodic progress reports.
- Ensure skills transfer & on the job training opportunities for the counterpart staff provided by the government.
- Advise SPT / PIU regarding the Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE) requirements & procedures to be followed at site.
- Undertake other tasks related to the roads construction activities, as requested by the Supervising Engineer.
- Design documents & contract documents assessment report.
- Contract management plans.
- Reports on contractor submitted work plans, design modification proposals, progress / variation claims etc.
- Contract close out report.
This role reports to the line manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in civil engineering is required, post graduate qualifications in areas relevant to the position requirements is desirable.
- Minimum of 6 years of civil engineering experience is required including substantial experience in urban roads construction supervision or / & construction contracts management.
- Registration as a professional engineer with a recognized institution is required.
- Competency of English in both spoken & writing is required.
This role requires team management experience.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.
- CTG has a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) which is outlined in its Code of Conduct. Protection from SEA is everyone’s responsibility and all staff are required to adhere to CTG’s Code of Conduct at all times.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job please visit app.tayohr.io.