Save the Children International
School Based Psychosocial Counselor – Dadaab, Garissa County
Closing date 26 Apr 2021
The psychosocial counsellors will be based in the schools and learning centers in Dadaab and Kakuma. The role holder will be in charge of providing psychosocial support and counselling to learners with needs. The role holders will closely with caseworkers, teachers and Child friendly spaces staff to identify and support learning with emotional and psychosocial needs. The role holder will be expected to enhance the referral pathway in coordination with the caseworkers and the child protection teams. In Kakuma, the role holder will also work with external partners such as LWF and DRC to avoid duplication of services and ensure effective coordination in the protection sector. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 12 Months.
No of Vacancies: Two (2) Position
Reporting to: Snr CP BID officer
Nationality: Kenya National only
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree in counseling or Psychology, with 3 years’ experience working with children is desirable.
- Good communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Knowledge of community based child protection approaches, preferably including experience in participatory approaches (PRA/PLA) and child participation methodologies.
- Ability to use a wide range of child counseling methodologies
- Good managerial and IT skills including the use of Word and database software
- Demonstrable ability to adapt to changing programme priorities and emergency priorities that may arise.
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and prioritie.
- Positive attitude towards community work with emphasis on the ability to learn from communities and support innovative approaches to problem solving
- Registered with the Kenya Counsellors and Psychologist’s Association (KCPA)
- Commitment to Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures
- Experience and skills in management of staff.
- Experience in designing and facilitating training sessions and activities for children
- Understanding of the dynamics of the conflict within the East African region.
- Experience of working in an insecure environment.
- Experience in refugee setting and/ or understanding of local language would be an added advantage.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to Apply.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. All employees are also expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=a2FiZGltdWhzaW4uNjI2NTQuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZ…