Action Against Hunger USA
Store/Warehouse Officer (open to Somali Nationals only) (2 Positions) – Baidoa & Hudur, Somalia
Closing date: 15 Oct 2023
Organization: Action Against Hunger USA
Position Title: Store/Warehouse Officer (open to Somali Nationals only)
Number of positions: 2
Reporting to: Field Coordinator
Duty Station: Baidoa & Hudur, Somalia
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 24 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 50 countries, our 8,300 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of position
The Stores Officer will be responsible for all supplies storage/warehousing functions at be responsible for either of these bases Elbarde, Hudur, Jowhar, Kismayo, Baidoa, Dollow, Wajid, Garowe. Support the mission in Implementing the Logistics policies and procedures as per KitLog and at the same time ensuring effective performance of the Logistics Department while maintaining transparent communication/report to Head of Department, Logistics.
Purpose: Deliver technical support and guidance to the program staff while responsible for all warehousing of goods and services, receiving, warehousing, dispatch, transportation of goods, transport vehicle fleet management, and general supplies management and distribution to the program bases.
Engagement: The Stores Officer will work closely with the Field Logistics Officer at base, Supply Chain Officer, Head of Department, Logistics, Operations Director, Field Coordinators, program team at the base level, local suppliers and Field Logisticians to ensure that the supply chain management activities as per procurement guidelines (Kitlogv3 outline Action Against Hunger (ACF) Manual).
**Delivery :**The Stores Officer will oversee day today procurement and distribution of logistic suppliers and store management and facilitate timely and quality reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
Essential job roles:
Manage the storage of supplies
- Oversee effective warehousing and inventory management operations in Mogadishu.
- Ensure inventory is accurately and transparently tracked from the point of receiving, storage, dispatch and confirmation of delivery of goods to their intended destination;
- Ensure all goods are tracked by Description, Donor Code and Project Code;
- Ensure all associated paperwork is completed and filed correctly so that there is a clear auditable trail for all stock movements;
- Ensure all stock discrepancies/damages are properly documented, investigated and reported to Head of Logistics and the Program Managers;
- Plan warehouse floor layout for efficient stock movement;
- Ensure the appropriate storage and physical condition of stocks according to their specific requirements;
- On a monthly basis, complete stock report for the Mogadishu warehouses ensuring that all stock entries and exits match the waybills, stock cards and SRO
- Ensure access to warehouses is restricted to designated staff and other staff are only permitted to enter when accompanied by designated staff and keep keys for the storage facilities;
- Report any problems with quality, quantity or documentation immediately
- Keep stocks forms bin cards, stock cards etc. up to date
- Manage the reception, storage and reporting of In-Kind Donations (IKDs) for the Country Program
- Ensure that all warehouse and stock management files are updated and properly filed
- Ensure that all stock entering the warehouse has a waybill/delivery notes;
- Ensure all incoming and outgoing stock is managed according to the Warehousing and Stock Management Standard, and ensure that Action Against Hunger Kit log storage procedures are respected;
- Prepare for incoming shipments upon receipt of transfer advice from Procurement Unit by estimating storage space needs and arranging labour for unloading if required;
- Ensure all items and quantities received match SPO and other paperwork shared by procurement and report any damages or discrepancies;
- Ensure that stock cards and bin cards are up to date for all stock stored in the Juba warehouses and support field teams to do the same;
- Record carefully the items and quantities received into Stock Follow up and Stock Movement Report
- Prepare for dispatch of outbound orders upon receipt of authorized stock request/SRO: determine transport methods and routes, and arrange labour for loading if required;
- Ensure the application of the FEFO rule (First Expired First Out) at each movement of stock;
- Liaise with requester and procurement unit to organize the onward transportation of goods and providing the appropriate documentation to accompany the transport;
- Receive and issue out the various dispatch documents i.e. SROs, DN Waybills as per kit log procedures;
- Ensure budget holders personally conduct a physical review any stock they have requested and sign the necessary documentation;
- Directly supervise the process of loading and unloading, including casual worker request, attendance sheets and ensuring timely payment is made.
- Record carefully the items and quantities dispatched into Stock report;
Support the supplies dispatch order processing
- Control the management and processing of the bases’ Stock Release Orders
- Ensure updating and distribution of follow-up to orders;
- Organize deliveries to the program sites, facilities and other locations
- Ensure filing of documents concerning supplies receipt and dispatch
- Conduct routine stock counts and verification of expiry date
- Coordinate with contracted transporters to ensure safe and timely deliveries and reconciling trip reports
- Updating stock reports online and on physical records and archiving accordingly
- Reconciling Stock Release orders with consumption reports and flagging low stock balances and unusual usage rates
Commodity safety and hygiene of the store
- Check daily the cleanliness of the supplies and make sure they are regularly disinfected and aired ; check the temperature and the rate of humidity ;
- Check the state the newly inputs and treat them if necessary; discard infected products ;
- Separate food items from other products ;
- Set up a protection against harmful animals and insects and apply a treatment as soon as the first signs of infection appear.
- Ensure that the warehouse conditions are satisfactory;
- Flag and report damages stores equipment and fixtures.
- Guarantee that the Kit log’s storage procedures are respected.
- Ensure the AAH stock procedures are implemented
- Ensure the proper administration and filing for the stock
Supervisory responsibilities: N/A
Gender Equality commitments
- Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age or marital status,
- Value and respect all cultures.
Fiscal Responsibility: N/A
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as infectious diseases
- Diploma in Logistics / Warehouse Management / Supply Chain Management, Business Administration or equivalent. Professional qualifications from accredited institutions such as CIPS an added advantage.
- At least five years of professional working experience in a similar position & Humanitarian Logistics sector at a managerial level specifically dealing with International Procurement, Freight, Warehouse management.
Required Skills & Competencies.
- Proven ability in the implementation of large-scale programs.
- High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and with well-developed problem-solving skills
- Ability to cope with heavy workloads and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with limited supervision
- Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages
- Understand and adherence to the humanitarian code of conduct
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 15th October, 2023 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line & the location applying for.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org