SOS Children’s Villages Somalia
Temporary IYCF Counsellor (2 positions) – Mogadishu- 1-Kahda and 1-Heliwa District, Somalia
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia currently works in five regions; Banadir Regions (almost all districts), Bay, Bakol and Lower Shabelle in Southwest State, Middle Shabelle in HirShabelle State.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below position.
Job Title: Temporary IYCF Counsellor (2 positions)
Report to: Nutrition Officer
Location: Mogadishu- 1-Kahda and 1-Heliwa District
The IYCF Counsellors will be primarily responsible for IYCF promotion and counseling. They will provide counseling for mothers with difficulties in adapting optimal IYCF practices; do follow up with mothers, responsible for conducting IYCF promotion sessions in the treatment centers and the community. They will also be responsible to support the recruitment of mother supporting groups, provide training and continuous support. The IYCF Counsellor is expected to provide a high standard of promoting optimum health and preventive health care, thereby contributing to a safe, efficient, and effective service to patients.
Key Areas of accountabilities:
- Carry out mobilization activities in allocated program areas in line with agreed plans, protocols, and current donor proposals.
- Ensure smooth, effective operation of the mobilizations exercises in SOS MC operational areas
- Ensure that CNWs convey correct health and nutrition messages to the community and that the community accurately and correctly interprets those messages into actions.
- Collect and compile weekly and monthly mobilization reports and submit them to the supervisor on time.
- Participate in health and nutrition assessments, surveys, surveillance, program reviews, and other monitoring activities as required.
- Disseminate public health and nutrition education messages to improve knowledge attitude and practices.
- Ensure all mothers/ caregivers are aware of the importance of exclusive breastfeeding for initial 6 months.
- The IYCF Counsellor will closely work with and report directly with the Nutrition educator.
- He will also work with all SOS Children’s Village Hospital departments including the EPU department, MCC department, Pharmacy department, Laboratory department, and Nursing School department.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nurse, Nutrition or related field
- Minimum 2 years of progressive professional experience in doing of IYCF Counsellor, or had worked with Nutrition Partner for nutrition Projects.
- Previous experience in NGOs/Donor funded programs is preferable.
- Strong knowledge of child rights and child protection.
- Able to pay attention to detail and monitors the quality of inventory
- Proactive, result-oriented, independent, able to identify and carry out duties with minimum supervision
- Sound knowledge of nutrition programming through either education or relevant work experience in nutrition.
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, spreadsheets)
- Excellent understanding of the local context and able to maintain good working relationships with team members.
- Strong communication skill both writing and verbal
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Good critical thinking skills, organized
- Strong communication skills
- Good time management skills
- To work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment, respecting diversity.
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is 05th May, 2021.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com