Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs - MoLSA
Terms of Reference for an International Senior Social Protection Consultant – Mogadishu, Somalia
Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
Shock Responsive Safety net for Human Capital Project
Terms of Reference for an International Senior Social Protection Consultant
Baxnaano is implemented by Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA) of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS). The platform has enabled FGS to provide safety net support to the poorest and respond to the impact of climate-related shocks, a space that has been predominantly left for humanitarian actors for decades. Since its inception in 2019, Baxnaano is evolving as a national platform for the delivery of cash assistance with a vision of empowering the poor and vulnerable through socioeconomic inclusion. Baxnaano supports poor and vulnerable households through two current windows and plans to establish a third window:
- Baxnaano Regular Window – A long term and unconditional cash transfer (CT) window aims at addressing chronic poverty and food security, building resilience and enhancing the human capital accumulation of beneficiary households. The window provides predictable cash assistance and links beneficiaries with health, nutrition and education services.
- Baxnaano Shock Response Window – A short term and unconditional emergency cash transfer (ECT) window aims at smoothing food consumption and protecting the human and physical assets of the poor and vulnerable during shocks and enable recovery.
- Baxnaano Economic Inclusion Window – This window is under design and launching it is dependent of fund availability. The window aims at enhancing economic inclusion of poor/vulnerable youth (including women) in urban areas.
The World Bank financed Somalia Shock Responsive Safety Net for Human Capital Project (SNHCP) (P171346) and Somalia Shock Responsive Safety Net for Locust Response Project (SNLRP) (P174065), support activities undertaken by Baxnaano. MoLSA has a partnership with UN agencies (World Food Programme (WFP) for implementation of both projects and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) for SNHCP only. FGS receives implementation and supervision support from the World Bank (WB) augmented through technical assistance provided by the WB and knowledge generation through a Multi-Partner Fund (MPF) supported Advisory Services and Analytics (ASA) activity.
Baxnaano operates with full engagement from FMS authorities, and in consultation and collaboration with relevant development partners, humanitarian agencies, and nongovernmental organizations involved in supporting Social Protection Policy (SP) reform and implementation in Somalia. SNHCP also supports development of social protection systems for implementation of social protection programs, strengthening institutional resilience and establishment of a Unified Social Registry (USR).
Scope of work
The Senior Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the PIU develop Baxnaano and USR systems
- Participate in USR-related meetings with the USR development team when required by the Project Manager.
- Review and comment on the deliverables of the social registry development firm as required by the Project Manager.
- Review and comment on the deliverables of the Baxnaano MIS development firm as required by the Project Manager.
- Support Project Manager ensure effective oversight of USR surveys.
- The Consultant will provide technical assistance in developing implementation arrangements and procedures for USR data collection. This includes support to the Project Manager during design of a dynamic update mechanism.
- Support Baxnaano and USR teams adopt biometric authentication and seamless inter-operability between Baxnaano, USR and the Somalia National Identity Registration Authority.
- Develop One-Stop-Shop service delivery model
- The Consultant will provide technical guidance during the development of the delivery systems of the Baxnaano program. The Consultant will provide technical guidance on the design of Baxnaano business processes, institutional outreach mechanisms as well as their expression and implementation in the Baxnaano MIS.
- Update/develop the Operations Manual for One-Stop-Shop service delivery.
- Support the PIU deploy and test the One-Stop-Shop service delivery model.
- Support the Project Manager coordinate the deployment of additional services at these One-Stop-Shops.
- Technical Support to develop new interventions of Baxnaano
- Support the PIU design, operationalize and test a health co-responsibility cash transfer initiative.
- Support the PIU design, operationalize and test an Economic Inclusion initiative.
- Support Implementation of Baxnaano
- The Consultant will provide guidance and support capacity building at the PIU to improve Implementation.
- Specifically, the consultant will support the Project Manager improve processes and systems to track key deliverables, reports to development partners and management, implementation progress tracking and disseminate best practices within the team.
- The consultant will recommend measures to improve fiduciary and citizen engagement for Baxnaano.
- Where required, the consultant may be requested to provide mentorship support to specific staff at the PIU.
- The consultant will provide the support with a vision to build sustainable capacity for effective implementation and management of a social protection institution.
- Conduct any other function and responsibility, which may be assigned by the Project Manager
The International consultant will report to the Project Manager and Social Policy Coordinator, MoLSA.
The consultant’s services are required for the period of one year between November 1, 2023 and October 30, 2024.
The selection of the consultant will be based on the evaluation of his or her qualification. The Consultant must demonstrate:
- Masters in Social Policy or computer science.
- At least 15 years of relevant working experience in developing countries or on development issues;
- At least 10 years of experience in the social protection and closely adjacent sectors;
- At least 7 years of work experience in conflict and fragile settings;
- Declared willingness to relocate to Mogadishu, Somalia;
- Proven experience in managing the work of technical teams;
- Extensive knowledge of social assistance programs and good knowledge of social assistance policy and operations;
- Extensive experience in developing social protection programs;
- Extensive experience in designing and supervising monitoring and evaluation activities and instruments for social assistance programs;
- Prior experience in designing Biometric solutions, information systems and project management for SP projects;
- Communication skills in working with government officials and other key stakeholders;
- Strong inter-personal skills and capacity to work individually in a pro-active manner as well as part of a team;
- Ability to deliver quality products in a timely manner.
How to apply
Confidential applications can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com with only a Cover Letter and Curriculum vitae (CV) in WORD .doc or. docx format must be delivered, by 1500 hours of 10th October 2023.
Applications addressed exclusively to the one of the above email addresses would not be considered
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org