Transport Assistant – GS-4 – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
External Advertisement – Transport Assistant – GS-4 – Fixed Term Jijiga, Ethiopia
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Jijiga, Ethiopia
Categories: Finance and Administration, Support: Operations, G-4, Operations and Business Management
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Empowerment
Job organizational context
This position reports to the Senior Admin and Finance Assistant (GS7) and supervises Driver positions (GS2). The position is ensures that optimal operational capacity is maintained to support the programme implementation in the new programme cycle. The Field Office is in a emergency prone region of the country with very huge challenges for programme staff to maintain physical access to all parts of the region. Fleet management is critical component of the offices ability to achieve results for children. The position will also be responsible for managing the monthly driver’s roster, vehicle logbooks, mission plans, vehicle tracking and monitoring or fuel consumption.
Purpose for the job
Join our team for managing UNICEF fleet in the Field Office including supervision of drivers. You will assign, monitor and maintain vehicles in support of smooth programme operations for the respective section. In this capacity, you will provides effective and efficient transport services to address the programmatic need for both regular and emergency programmes.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Maintenance and updating of online vehicle booking system. Orient staff and drivers on online booking system. Records and monitors use of all daily transport requests with proper supporting documents. Responsible for prioritizing transportation requests and assigning vehicles for daily routine assignments as well as field trips. Support/train drivers in doing their own Security Clearance and TAs. Monitor and management of duty rosters.
- Manage fuel coupons and maintain fuel consumption records of all vehicles including performance and maintenance of vehicles. Report on fuel efficiency and maintenance costs.
- Make sure that UNICEF vehicle third-party insurance is up-to-date and renewed in a timely manner, including registration and renewal of required vehicle documents. Ensures that non-UNICEF staff using UNICEF assets signs the standard waiver forms.
- Checking/verifications of invoices for vehicle maintenance, fuel bills and forward for payment processing. Digitize all vehicle original documents for proper electronic filing system and update regularly.
- Responsible for the regular day-to-day supervision and maintenance of all the vehicles and communication equipment installed in the vehicles. Ensure MOSS Compliant in all the vehicles with installation of all required equipment mandated by UN DSS. Ensures that drivers have checked oil, water, battery, brakes, tyre, etc. Supervise minor repairs and arranges for other repairs as and when necessary. Ensures that all the vehicles are kept clean and ready to use at all times.
- Monitors the use of the spare parts including tyres and batteries and prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures that all safety regulations, security operating procedures and standard HF and VHF communications procedures are followed. Ensures that all mandated security related equipment is present and operational in the vehicles at all times. Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident or other incident involving the vehicle and or its passengers. Supervise, support and provide guidance to supervisees.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary School Education. Additional courses on transport and fleet management, business courses or other relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of 5[Five] years of relevant professional experience in office administration, fleet management, transport or travel units in INGOs or the UN.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset. One year of deployment in a developing country is required.
- At least one three-month deployment mission in a humanitarian situation (with UN-Govt-INGO) is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Jun 07 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: Jun 21 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs