Galmudug State Of Somalia
Water Engineer – Dhusamareb, Galmudug State of Somalia.
MINISTRY OF ENERGY AND WATER RESOURCES
HORN OF AFRICA – GROUND WATER FOR RESILIENCE PROJECT (GW4R)
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
Individual Selection of Consultant
Project ID No. P174867 Grant No.: IDA – D9310
Name of the Project: Horn of Africa – Ground Water for Resilience Project (GW4R)
Consulting Service: GSS GROUND WATER ENGINEER
Duty Station: DHUSAMAREB
Deadline: NOVEMBER 21, 2023
Ref No. SO-MOEWR-GSS-388431-CS-INDV
- BACKGROUND OF THE PROJECT
The Groundwater for Resilience project (GW4R) is a component of the World Bank financed Horn of Africa (HoA) initiative. The project is intended to increase sustainable access and management of groundwater as a key contributing factor to enhanced climate resilience of targeted communities. The project will strengthen the foundations for regional approaches to resilience building through an improvement of the knowledge base and institutional capacity related to climate shocks, and investments in enhanced groundwater supply and improved utilization.
GW4R addresses groundwater development in order to enhance living conditions and reduce and control the impacts of climate change. Strengthening the region’s capacity to assess, develop, monitor, and manage groundwater resources play a vital role in the ability of vulnerable communities to cope with and adapt to the effects of climate shocks. The GW4R is framed around four components: (i) Institutions and Information, (ii) Infrastructure and Investment, (iii) Inclusive Innovation, and (iv) project management, knowledge, and operation. The project initially focuses on three countries -Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia – and Somaliland and IGAD for the regional integration.
The water Engineer will report to the Abaar-Tir GSS PIU operation manager and work in close collaboration with relevant departments of procurement and administration within the Abaar-Tir team, other line ministries, the federal PCU, and all engaged and contracted partners. He/she will ensure that the project’s investments in enhanced water supply are in strict compliance with existing or upcoming guidelines and manuals. This includes the Project Operations Manual (POM) and all appropriate and relevant best practices and international standards.
2) Responsibilities: consultant is expected to deliver the following deliverables:
- Support the State Ministry of Energy and Water Resources in the implementation and management of the Abaartir Project
- Support the PIU Operation Manager on all issues linked to water development, management, and monitoring;
- Provide advice and supervise the work of consultants on the identification and assessment of aquifers and groundwater development potential,
- Assist in the review of the Project work plans and individual work programmes of contractors, consultancy firms and individual consultants
- Support design reviews, construction material survey and assessment of local contractors’ capacities, identification of utilities, etc.
- Liaise with Local Governments and community elders on project-related issues
- Monitor and report on site progress and provide an accurate record of quantity of water infrastructure works and installations done
- Coordinate and monitor the preparation, implementation, and supervision of investment plans for groundwater development and rehabilitation (deep wells, shallow wells, sand dams, small scale rainfall and runoff harvesting structures).
- Assess training and capacity needs for the priority water investments in the State (public and private sector) and provide input to the capacity development and training programs managed by the Federal level’
- Coordinate and monitor the preparation, implementation and supervision of engineering and construction plans for water infrastructure and rehabilitation work.
- Provide O&M guidance to the handing over of new or rehabilitated groundwater supply to local groups
- Inspect and verify contractors’ equipment at tender stage; inspect equipment, materials and workforce mobilized to site; and maintain records of the same
- Any other technical duties that may be requested by the MoEWR in the interest of the project
S/he will undertake all the other specific tasks detailed in the Terms of Reference (TOR).
Selection Criteria: The selection shall be based on qualification, experience and skills of the candidate and followed by an interview. The qualifications, experience and competencies include:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university in one of the following disciplines: groundwater hydrology, civil /water Engineering, and Hydraulic Engineering.
- A minimum of Six (6) years of relevant professional work experience, including expertise in groundwater surveying and water point location, the planning and supervision of groundwater/water infrastructure construction, and installation works and engineering services.
- Experience in water engineering and development work in Somalia.
- Work experience in projects funded by an international donor.
- Fluency in English and Somali languages.
- Excellent computer skills for Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Internet use.
- High level interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Reputable individual with good characteristics, knowledge, skills and proven capability in Ministry, Department and Agency planning, development, and government policy formulation.
The GSS ground water Engineer will report to the Operation Manager, MoEWR and NPCU
- TIMING Duration of Assignment:
The GSS Ground Water Engineer shall be contracted for an initial one (1) year period.
How to apply
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to section III, para 3.14,3.16 & 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Projects Financing Goods, Works, Non -Consulting and Consulting Services, July 2016, revised November 2017, August 2018, November 2020 and September 2023 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the World Bank Procurement Regulations.
Interested Consultants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from https://somalijobs.com/jobs
Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered by email to the address below on or before 21st November 2023 at 12:00 PM (East African Time) – Subject marked clearly as – Application for Ground Water Engineer).
Project Implementation Unit (PIU),
Ministry of Energy and Water Resources,
Galmudug State of Somalia,
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group 1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs
Facebook Group 2: https://www.facebook.com/groups/qaranjobs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com