Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer – Garbaharey, Somalia
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer – Garbaharey
Closing date: 10 Oct 2021
Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leading International NGOs, having over 47 years’ of experience in international development and humanitarian work. Trócaire has been working in Gedo since 1993 and currently implements an integrated Health, Nutrition and Protection programme as well as education and emergency (WASH) programmes designed to address the most urgent needs of the Gedo population.
Trocaire has recently received funding from SHF to provide essential WASH services in Garbaharey. The Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH) Officer, based in Garbaharey, will lead in the implementation of Water, Hygiene and Sanitation activities, under the direction of the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator. The WASH Officer ensures that water, sanitation, and hygiene activities and awareness are implemented effectively, professionally, while respecting the culture and practices of the local population. S/he will ensure that the WASH services are of a high standard as per Trocaire values and history in Somalia. S/he will work alongside the local partners, the District Health Board in Garbaharey and other Trocaire staff, ensuring that services are enhanced and maintain Trocaire’s high standards.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to Humanitarian Programme Coordinator or his/her designee, this is a fixed term for 11 months and based in Garbaharey, Gedo region of Somalia.
Safeguarding Children Policy:
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
· Ensure the maintenance of positive partnerships with relevant local government counterparts and local partners in the management of WASH related interventions
· Plan and organise WASH activities within the Garbaharey WASH project
· Under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator, support the effective and timely implementation of all interventions related to WASH in the Trocaire project.
· Work closely with Local authorities in Garbaharey to ensure all WASH interventions deployed in the community, facilities and schools are aligned to project outcomes and protect the community from disease outbreaks.
· Serve as the technical lead in construction and implementation of water supply and sanitation facilities including construction of water sources, storage, piping, repair of water systems and latrines for communities.
· Support beneficiary institutions in development of operation and maintenance plan for WASH infrastructure.
· Arrange for testing of any new water sources to ensure potability.
· Ensure all contractual works conform to design and are tested before issuing of completion certificates.
· Prepare site visit reports, engineer’s instructions, any variation orders, and payment and completion certificates in a timely manner and obtain sign off from Trocaire management.
· Supervises and oversees artisans and community hygiene promoters in WASH project sites.
· Develop work schedules in a language understood by contractors.
· Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings meet the standard required to provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates to open defecation free (ODF) regime.
· Coordinate the distribution of Behaviour Changes Communication (BCC) materials on use of safe water, environmental sanitation, good hygiene practices and facilitation of hygiene education in health centres, schools and Community Based Education (CBE) centres
· Monitor adherence to WASH practices in the community that enhance the overall health of the community. **
· Provide technical oversight and supervision in implementation of both soft and hardware WASH activities,**
- Support the M&E of partner WASH activities as advised by the M&E Coordinator.
*Reporting and Coordination
- Participate in coordination of WASH, KAP and coverage surveys to assesses the situation of the target population
- Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports of activities related to WASH.
- Keep the Coordinator informed of major WASH issues in the community.
- Support the Zonal Coordinator in the compilation of monthly programme data for submission to the donors.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
· Professional qualification in public health and/or water engineering
· A development worker with qualifications related to water and sanitation with at least 2 years’ experience in Health/WASH programming will be giving priority consideration
· Minimum two years’ experience in working in health or WASH programmes in hardship environments preferably with an international NGO.
· Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, programmes and key stakeholders in Gedo
· Very good understanding of safe water and hygiene practice in Gedo
· Experience in community based interventions in Gedo
· Excellent mentoring and accompaniment skills
· Basic training in WASH programming
· Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, to mentor and to negotiate for best results
· Ability to work under pressure.
· Strong writing and communication skills in Somali.
· Good computer skills (Microsoft Office).
· S/he will be mature, lead by example and work to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and integrity.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision
· Flexible and willing to work additional hours to ensure that the required results are delivered.
· High level of reliability, objectivity and honesty
· Willingness to work in a rural Somalia environment at unsocial hours and in remote conditions.
· Resident of Garbaharey would be an added advantage. All new hires are required to complete a Self-Declaration Form and sign up to our Code of Behaviour contained in our Safeguarding Children Policy. For additional information please consult the Human Resources Department in our Head Office.
How to apply
For the Candidate wit**h the required experience and passion for the role, Trocaire Offers a competitive package of salary and benefits**
The closing date for receipt of applications is 10TH October 2021.
For full details of
this position, please see job description attached.
please send a copy of your CV and covering letter (quoting the job title
above) to: https://trocaire.workable.com/
PLEASE JOIN US – QARAN JOBS
Follow us on our Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs