Youth Programme Officer – Hargeisa, Somaliland
Closing date: Monday, 24 May 2021
Job Title: NATIONAL POST: Youth Programme Officer, Hargeisa – Somaliland, SB4/SC9
Job ID: 37160
Location: Arab States
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Rotation: This post is non-rotational.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF SOMALIA
Closing date: 25 May 2021
Duty station: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Post type: Service Contract
Duration: One year renewable (*)
(*) Possibility for contract renewal based on need, performance, and availability of funds and in accordance with UN Service Contract guidelines.
The Youth Programme officer ensures the effective management of UNFPA activities in the area of youth. You will oversee project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. You will support the programme team and collaborate with the CO’s thematic lead and operations/administrative support staff.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UNFPA Deputy Representative, the direct supervision of the Head of Office – Hargeisa, and technical supervision of the National Programme Coordinator Youth, the Youth Programme officer provides programmatic and technical support and coordination to ensure strong partnership and collaboration with the UN as well as with national/international counterparts in a comprehensive integrated Youth programming and provision of Youth friendly services.
You would be responsible for:
- Partnership and Coordination
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, the Programme officer supports the formulation and design of the country programme and its component projects in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA programme policies and procedures.
- Oversees project implementation, establishing collaborative partnerships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs, and addressing training needs of project personnel.
- Participates, be technical back stopper at the inter-Agency working group on Youth.
- Technical support and Programming
- Project Management, including EU-youth funded project: This includes the day to day management, follow up on the implementation of the youth programme work plan at FGS level.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical guidance for policy and strategy development, and implementation related to adolescents and youth in the state, such as child marriage, adolescent pregnancy, ASRH services, comprehensive sexuality education, Youth skills development, youth participation and leadership.
- Provide technical guidance and support to the CO’s Youth Peace and Security component and interventions
- Undertakes follow up actions on programme implementation interventions and prepares reports. Drafts changes in the programme work plans, as required
- Support programming funds in the GPS in the ATLAS system, and also monitoring budget spending limits through COGNOS reports.
- Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partners financial and narrative reports.
- Provide technical inputs to background documents, briefs and presentations related to the youth programme
- Policy dialogue/ advocacy and Resource mobilisation
- Reviews the political, social and economic environment relevant to population and development, Adolescent reproductive health and Youth, and pursues opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Assesses implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution and ensures appropriate implementation.
- Participates in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of Country Office by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related donor meetings and public information events.
- Ensures the creation and documentation of knowledge about current and emerging population development trends, Adolescent and youth issues, by the programme team through the analysis of programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and uses this knowledge for information sharing and planning future strategies.
- Proactively Coordinate and support programme advocacy campaigns events, workshops, training and capacity development initiatives.
- Assists in writing proposals and engaging in resource mobilization efforts to support joint programming and the UN Delivering as One initiative.
- Provides technical support to the development of relevant legislative, policy and advocacy documents to address youth concerns in the context of broader gender (inequality) issues.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Analyses and reports on programme and project progress in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools and introducing new mechanisms and systems; identifies constraints and resource deficiencies and recommends corrective action.
- Preparation of implementing partners annual and other periodic work plans and monitors and evaluates progress according to the Project monitoring plan, including contracts with UNFPA partners towards projected programme results, and documents and applies lessons learnt to close the gaps.
- Monitors projects expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved project budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels, and coordinates timely delivery of quality project and financial reporting and ensures adequacy with finance and activities.
- Reporting: enhance, strengthen the capacity of the youth programme IPs in the results-based reporting and track youth programme partners reporting timelines and ensure technical inputs, correctness, completeness and a high quality of programme reports.
- Undertakes regular monitoring missions and meetings with relevant Youth actors including project partners in assessing the Youth intervention.
- Provide inputs from youth programme activities and results to the Country office and regional office reporting.
- Document lessons learnt and participate in dissemination to relevant partners.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Gender, Health, Population, International Relations Development studies, Business Administration, or any other related social science
A first level university degree with 3 years experience combined with relevant academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years professional experience in the field of development and population activities, with experience in programme/ project management.
- Demonstrate experiences in working with government partners.
- Ability to liaise and affiliate with other UN agencies, Donor, NGO and the Government working in the area of Reproductive Health programme.
- UN common system experience, especially field experience, is desirable.
Solid command of spoken and written English and Somali is essential.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Business acumen
- Implementing management systems
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Client orientation
- Organizational awareness
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Note: UNFPA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNFPA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary Annual leave, health insurance and other benefits.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
For any questions or comments please contact email@example.com
Follow us on Social Media:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/QaranJobs.so
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somaliajobs